Monday, April 30, 2012

What I Learned This Week:

I feel like I am an educated member of society, but what I have learned this week blew me away. Q and I attended an adoption forum at a church near our house the other night. I went in thinking I would hear about adoption options in the community, financing our adoption and meet some good contacts. What I did not expect, was to be completely blown away.

I know that this world is full of children in need- children that need homes, food, shelter and care, but I was absolutely shocked at the statistics of children right here in the United States. Sorry, this may be a little boring...but check out these numbers- it is absolutely insane!

In December 2010...

There were over 10,000 children in state custody

About 3,400 of these children were living with a relative

That leaves 6,700 children in state custody who need foster care....and only 2,800 foster care families

That means that if EVERY foster family has a child that there are still almost 4,000 children that need a place to stay...which means they will be sleeping in a group home.

A child usually stays in state custody for over 24 months

THIS IS JUST IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI!

I don't know about you, but this makes me sad...very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment